V. I. Borysenko1, D. V. Budik2, V. V. Goranchuk1
1Institute for Safety Problems of NPP, NAS of Ukraine,
12, Lysogirska st., Kyiv, 03028, Ukraine
2Severodonetsk Research and Production Association “Impulse”,
2, Peremohy av., Severodonetsk, 09405, Ukraine
The value of the thermal power of the reactor (TPR) is used in the VVER-1000 control systems in most algorithms for generating control signals, interlocks and protections, and the technical and economic indicators of the power unit are determined by TPR. Plans to increase VVER-1000 TPR to 101.5 % of the nominal, and in the future to 104–107 % of the nominal, require additional research and justification on the accuracy of the determination of TPR. Ways to improve the accuracy of determining TPR based on the signals of VVER-1000 neutron flux monitoring systems were discussed in the article. The main factors affecting the errors in the determination of TPR by the parameters of the neutron flux in the systems are considered: neutron flux monitoring system (NFMS); in-core monitoring system (ICMS). To increase the accuracy of TPR determination in NFMS, a model of automatic correction of the ionization chamber signal is proposed depending on changes in temperature and boric acid concentration in the coolant, the position of the control rods, fuel burnup, etc. The implementation of a model for correcting the signals of NFMS ionization chambers will allow for a wide range of transient operating modes of VVER-1000, including during power maneuvering, to provide regulatory requirements for the error in determining the neutron power of a reactor. Possible additional methods for the determination of TPR, which can be used to determine the weighted average thermal power of the reactor, are proposed. For example, the analysis of changes in the signals of the background conductors of self-powered neutron detectors (SPND), over several VVER-1000 fuel campaigns, shows the fundamental possibility of using the signal of background conductors to determine TPR, along with the signals of the SPND itself. The results of the analysis of the change in the error in determining the weighted average thermal power of the reactor in the case of applying an additional method for determining TPR based on the signals of the background conductors of the SPND are presented.
Keywords: reactor thermal power, neutron flux parameters, self-powered neutron detectors, background conductors, correction model, weight coefficients.
1. Sokolov D. A., Kim V. V., Kuznetsov V. I. (2007). [Increase of the VVER-1000 capacity]. Trudy Odesskogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta [Proceedings of Odessa National Polytechnic University], vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 60–64. (in Russ.)
3. Vorobeva D. V., Lipin N. V., Milto V. A. (2017). Raschet moshchnosti RU po parametram vnutrireaktornykh detektorov. Analiz opyta ekspluatatsii [Calculation of RP capacity on parameters of in-core detectors. Analysis of operation experience]. Proceedings of the 10th International Scientific and Technical Conference “Safety assurance at NPP with VVER” (Podolsk, Russia, May, 16–19). Podolsk: Gidropress. (in Russ.)
4. Dobrotvorskiy A. N. (2017). Razrabotka i obosnovanie metodiki opredeleniya srednevzveshennoy moshchnosti reaktora energoblokov AES s VVER-1000 [Development and substantiation of methods of determination of weighted mean power of NPP units with VVER-1000] (PhD Thesis). Novovoronezh, [s. n.], 191 p. (in Russ.)
5. Bai V. F., Lupishko A. N., Makarov S. V., Bogachek L. N. (2010). Sostoyanie vnutrireaktornogo termokontrolya i analiz osnovnykh teplofizicheskikh kharakteristik RU na blokakh Kalininskoy AES [State of in-core thermal control and analysis of the main thermal and physical characteristics of RP of Kalinin NP]. Proceedings of the 7th International scientific and technical conference “Safety, effectiveness and economics of nuclear power engineering” (Moscow, Russia), p. 228–230. (in Russ.)
6. Saunin Yu. V., Dobrotvorskii A. N., Semenikhin A. V. (2008). Metod otsenki vesovykh koeffitsientov pri opredelenii srednevzveshennoy teplovoy moshchnosti reaktorov VVER [Methods of estimation of weight coefficient when determining weighted mean thermal power of VVER reactors]. Tyazheloe mashinostroenie [Russian Journal of Heavy Machinery], vol. 4, p. 21–36. (in Russ.)
7. Stefenson R. (1956). Vvedenie v yadernuyu tekhniku [Introduction to Nuclear Engineering]. Moscow: State Publishing House of Technical and Theoretical Literature, 536 p. (in Russ.)
8. Borysenko V. I. (2018). Vdoskonalennia metodiv i zasobiv operatyvnoho kontroliu ta diahnostyky neitronno-fizychnykh parametriv yadernykh ustanovok [Enhancement of methods and means for operational control and diagnostics of neutronic parameters of nuclear installations] (Dr. thesis). Kyiv, 400 p. (in Ukr.)
9. 4-RNPP. Standard operating procedure of Rivne NPP 4th unit safe operation. (in Russ.)
10. Borysenko V. I., Piontkovskyi Yu. F., Goranchuk V. V. (2017). Issledovanie modeley rodievogo emittera detektora pryamogo zaryada [An investigation of models of rhodium emitter used in self-powered neutron detector]. Problemy bezopasnosti atomnykh elektrostantsiy i Chernobylya [Problems of Nuclear Power Plants’ Safety and of Chornobyl], vol. 28, pp. 15–26. (in Russ.)
11. Taylor J. (1997). An Introduction to Error Analysis: The Study of Uncertainties in Physical Measurements. 2nd edition. University Science Books, 448 p.
12. Agapov S. A., Lysenko V. V., Musorin A. I., Tsypin S. G. (1991). Radiatsionnye metody izmereniya parametrov VVER [Radiation methods for measuring VVER parameters]. Moscow: Energoizdat, 136 p. (in Russ.)
13. Lysenko V. V., Musorin A. I., Rymarenko A. I., Tsypin S. G. (1985). Opredelenie yaderno-fizicheskikh i teplofizicheskikh kharakteristik VVER s pomoshch’yu radiatsionnykh izmeriteley [Determination of nuclear-physical and thermophysical characteristics of VVER using radiation meters]. Moscow: Energoizdat, 118 p. (in Russ.)
14. Graham K. F. (1977). 16N Power measuring system. Rep. WCAP-9191. Westinghouse Atomic Power Division, Pittsburgh, USA.
15. DÉCOR system. Direct measurement of the reactor coolant flow based on cross-correlation of Nitrogen 16 time fluctuation. Research and development division EDF preprint, Chatou, France, 1997.
16. WANO (1996). Comanche Peak Steam Electric Station Unit 2. Unidentified Overpower Condition Following a Substantial Loss Of Feedwater Heating. WANO inf. EAR ATL 96–012.
17. Kuzmin V. V., Bogachek L. N., Alyev R. R. (2015). Korrelyatsionnye izmereniya raskhoda teplonositelya pervogo kontura po aktivnosti 16N na Kalininskoy AES [Correlation measurements of the primary coolant flow rate for 16N activity at Kalinin NPP]. Proceedings of the 9th International Scientific and Technical Conference “Safety assurance at NPP with VVER” (Podolsk, Russia). (in Russ.)
18. Technical report WCAP-13303. Westinghouse Atomic Power Division. Pittsburgh, USA, 1990.
19. Abdullaev A. M., Kulish G. V., Sleptsov S. N., Zhukov A. I. (2009). Raschetnyy analiz PEL — effekta v smeshannoy aktivnoy zone VVER-1000 [Calculation analysis of PEL-effect in the VVER-1000 mixed core]. Proceedings of the 6th International Scientific and Technical Conference “Safety assurance at NPP with VVER” (Podolsk, Russia). (in Russ.)
20. Goranchuk V. V. (2019). Monitoryng aktyvnoii zony VVER-1000 metodamy neitronno-shumovoii diagnostyky [VVER-1000 core monitoring by neutron noise diagnostics] (PhD Thesis). Kyiv, 190 p. (in Ukr.)
21. Borisenko V. I., Piontkovskiy Yu. F., Goranchuk V. V. (2016). Model formirovaniya signala vnutrizonnogo detektora neytronov [Signal formation model of an intraband neutron detector]. Yaderna fіzyka ta energetyka, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 364–373. (in Russ.)
22. Karasev V. S., Ogorodnik S. S., Tsoglin Yu. L. (1970). Issledovanie kalibrovochnoy kharakteristiki termodivergatora v intensivnykh polyakh ioniziruyushchikh zlucheniy [Study of the calibration characteristic of a thermal diverter in intense fields of ionizing radiation]. Atomnaya energiya [Atomic energy], vol. 29, no. 6, p. 449. (in Russ.)
If the article is accepted for publication in the journal «Industrial Heat Engineering» the author must sign an agreement on transfer of copyright. The agreement is sent to the postal (original) or e-mail address (scanned copy) of the journal editions.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License International CC-BY that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.