V. V. Yehorov, S. A. Paskevych, L. I. Pavlovsky, O. V. Balan
Institute for Safety Problems of Nuclear Power Plants, NAS of Ukraine,
36a, Kirova st., Chornobyl, 07270, Ukraine
The efficiency of the use of personnel protection shielding against intensive sources of ionizing radiation in the areas of work at the Shelter object is analyzed. Data on the practical application of protective shields when performing works to stabilize unstable structures of the Shelter object are presented. The models for the use of special protective cabins for the dismantlement of the Shelter object structures are justified; these models are planned to be implemented after the commissioning of the New Safe Confinement. It is shown, that use of shielding as one of the most effective methods for reducing the collective dose of radiation is crucial.
Keywords: radiation protection, shielding, Shelter object, sources of ionizing radiation.
1. SIP SKB 02 WCD-EP 002 00 / 02–88–02.01. SSE ChNPP. Shelter Implementation Plan on the Shelter Object. Cementation of the Base Soil, Taking into Account the Drilling of Wells with a Diameter of 150 mm. Technology of Drilling Injection Wells and Cementation of the Soil Foundation. (in Russ.)
2. Strategy for transformation of the Shelter object into an ecologically safe system. Approved by the Interdepartmental Commission for the Integrated Solution of the Problems of the Chornobyl NPP dated on March 12, 2001,
no. 2, 18 p. (in Ukr.)
3. SIP K 04 01 000 RSR 002 03. Final Executive Report on Stabilization Measures (Safety Analyses Report). Shelter implementation plan on the Shelter object.
2018. (in Russ.)
4. Batiy V. G., Egorov V. V., Zakrevsky Yu. A., et al. (2000). Optimization of Shielding Using Experimental Data on the Angular Distributions of the Intensity of Gamma Radiation. Problemy Chornobylya [Problems of Chornobyl],
vol. 9, pp. 53–55. (in Russ.)
5. Batiy V. G., Glebkin S. I., Yegorov V. V., et. al. (2004). Physical and Mathematical Simulation of Biological Shielding. Problems of atomic science and technology. Series “Nuclear physics investigations”, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 101–102.
6. Report on the Results of Studies of the Radiation Situation in the Areas of Work for Stabilization of the Building Structures of the Shelter Object. Shelter Implementation Plan. International Chernobyl Consortium — ICC (MK) JV. Chornobyl, 2002, 198 p. (in Russ.)
7. 301503.201.007-ZVSZ Report on correspondence with the requirements of sanitary legislation. Project for reconstruction of the Shelter object Chornobyl NPP in connection with the dismantling of a metal farm on the southern roof. Chornobyl: SSE ChNPP, 2016, Vol. 7. (in Ukr.)
If the article is accepted for publication in the journal «Industrial Heat Engineering» the author must sign an agreement on transfer of copyright. The agreement is sent to the postal (original) or e-mail address (scanned copy) of the journal editions.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License International CC-BY that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.