Ia. A. Zhygalov1, V. V. Inyushev1, V. O. Posokh1,
S. A. Vyzhva2, I. I. Onyshchuk2
1 SE “State Scientific and Engineering Center for Control
Systems and Emergency Response”, Heroiv Stalingrada ave,
64/56, Kyiv, 04213, Ukraine
2 Research Laboratory of Theoretical and Applied Geophysics
of the Educational and Scientific Institute “Institute of
Geology” of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv,
Vasylkivska st., 90, Kyiv, 03022, Ukraine
The determination of the air permeability of concrete in the compressed zone of NPP’s containment under conditions of excessive air pressure in the subshell space of the reactor compartment under a maximum design basis accident is necessary to confirm the localizing functions of the containment when extending the lifetime of power units. Approaches to determining the localizing ability (air permeability) of concrete in the compressed zone of the containment of NPPs with WWER-1000 type reactors under the impact of excessive air pressure under conditions of maximum design basis accident are discussed in the article. The designed testing installation for experimental studies of the air permeability of concrete by the method of stationary radial filtration is described and the results of experimental researches of the air permeability on
the installation are presented for samples simulating the composition of concrete used under construction of the containment for Power Units No. 1, 2 (series B-302 and B-338, respectively) SD “South-Ukrainian NPP”. A comparative analysis of the results of abovementioned experimental researches with the results of experimental and theoretical work on the study of air permeability of the similar samples-imitators of concrete by the method of stationary linear filtration, as well as the results of measurements for samples of concrete sampled directly from the compressed zone of containment for Power Unit No. 2 of SD “South-Ukrainian NPP” was fulfilled. The results are explained by processes of compaction of the concrete structure under a complex stress state that occurs under specific hardening conditions and during longtime compression by pre-stressed reinforcing ropes, which takes place under conditions of real containment operation. It was concluded that the simulators made according to the currently accepted technology cannot provide a correct determination of the localizing ability of the NPP’s containment, since the conditions and time of containment concrete hardening, as well as the longtime constant compressive action of reinforcing ropes, cannot be correctly modeled in full under the formation of samples-imitators. The issue of the containment concrete samplesimitators creating in laboratory conditions requires additional study, improvement of technology and the development of new approaches with maximum physical modeling of the conditions characteristic of the operation of the NPP containment.
Keywords: air permeability, concrete, core, containment, nuclear power plant, lifetime extension.
1. Ukazaniya po podboru sostavov i kontrolyu kachestva gazonepronitsaemych betonov dlya zaschity sooruzheniy atomnych electrostantsiy [Guidelines for the selection of compositions and quality control of gas-tight concrete for the protection of structures of nuclear power plants]. Kyiv: SE “State Research Institute of Building Constrictions”, 1991. 48 p (in Russ.)
2. DSTU B V.2.6–37:2008. Constructions of buildings and structures. Determination methods of air permeability factors of building envelopes and their elements in laboratory conditions. Kyiv: Minregionbud of Ukraine, 2009, 13 p. (in Ukr.)
3. GOST 26450.2–85. Rocks. Method for determination of absolutely gas permeability coefficient by stationary and non-stationary filtration. Moscow: Publishing house of standards, 1986, 16 p. (in Russ.)
4. Farenyuk G. G., Nemchinov Iu. I., Bambura A. N., Sheinich L. A., Mykolaiets M. G., Mudryk M. S. (2019). Zmina povitryapronyknosti vazhkogo betonu u chasi [The change of air permeability of concrete in time]. Opir materialiv i teoriya sporud [Strength of Materials and Theory of Structures], vol. 102, pp. 25–36 (in Ukr.)
5. Rekomendatsii po otsenke sostoyaniya zhelezobetonnych konstruktsiy pri ekspluatatsii v agressivnych sredah [Recommendations for assessing the state of reinforced concrete structures during operation in aggressive environments]. Moscow: NII ZHB Gosstroy USSR, 1984 (in Russ.)
6. TR.1.3812.4141. Technical solution “On the manufacture of experimental samples for the study of the localizing ability of concrete in the compressed zone of the containment for power units no. 1, no. 2 of SD ‘South-Ukraine NPP’” dated 02.07.2018, Yuzhnoukrainsk: SD “South-Ukraine NPP”, 2018, 12 p. (in Ukr.)
7. DSTU B V.2.7–214:2009. Building materials. Concretes methods for strength determination using reference specimens. Kyiv: Minregionbud of Ukraine, 2010, 43 p. (in Ukr.)
8. TR.2.0001–1703. Technical solution “On the sampling of concrete samples from the containment of power unit no. 2”, approved by the letter of the State Inspectorate for Nuclear Regulation of Ukraine no. 15–14/4–3/3890 dated 15.06.2018. Kyiv, 2018, 6 p. (in Ukr.)
9. Vyzhva S., Onyshchuk V., Onyshchuk I., Reva M., Tsuman V. (2020). A method of the permeability determination of protective st7ructures of man-made objects. Proceedings of the XIV International Scientific Conference “Monitoring of Geological Processes and Ecological Condition of the Environment” (Kyiv, Ukraine, November 10–13,2020), pp. 1–5. Available at: https:// doi.org/10.3997/2214–4609.202056075.
10. DSTU B V.2.7–223:2009. Building materials. Concretes methods for strength determination using reference specimens. Kyiv: Ukrarkhbudinform, 2010, 12 p. (in Ukr.).
11. Dobrynin V. M., Vendel’shteyn B. Yu., Kozhevnikov D. A. (1991). Petrofizika [Petrophysics], Moscow: Nedra, 368 p. (in Russ.)
12. Dakhnova V. N. (ed.) (1977). Opredeleniye petrofizicheskikh kharakteristik po obraztsam [Determination of petrophysical characteristics by samples]. Moscow: Nedra, 432 p. (in Russ.)
13. Tiab D., Donaldson E. Ch. (2009). Petrofizika: teoriya i praktika izucheniya kollektorskikh svoystv gornykh porod i dvizheniya plastovykh flyuidov [Petrophysics: theory and practice of studying the reservoir properties of rocks and the movement of reservoir fluids]. Moscow.: Premium Engineering, 868 p. (in Russ.)
14. DSTU GOST 8.207:2008. State system for ensuring uniformity of measurements. Direct measurements with multiple observations. Methods of processing the results of observation. Basic principles. Kyiv: Gospotrebstandart of Ukraine, 2008, 11 p. (in Russ.)
15. Dorofeev V. S., Vyrovoy V. N. (1998). Tekhnologicheskaya povrezhdennost’ stroitel’nykh materialov i konstruktsiy [Technological damage to building materials and structures]. Odesa: Gorod masterov, 168 p. (in Russ.)
16. Sopov V. P., Reshetnyak L. N., Zhdanyuk N. I. (2007). Aktivnyye i neaktivnyye pory v betone [Active and inactive pores in concrete]. Proceedings of the IX International Scientific and Practical Conference. Zaporizhzhya: Budindustria LTD, pp. 163–168. (in Russ.)
17. Sheinich L. A, Pushkareva E. K. (2009). Protsessy samoorganizatsii struktury stroitel’nykh kompozitov [Self-organization processes of the structure of building composites]. Kyiv: Gamma-Print, 146 p. (in Russ.)
18. Safiuddin Md. (2017). Concrete Damage in Field Conditions and Protective Sealer and Coating Systems. Coatings, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 90. Available at: https://doi.org/10.3390/coatings7070090.
19. Farenyuk G. G., Postol A. S. (2017). Eksperymentalʹnyy analiz povitropronyknosti fasadnykh system z povitryanym prosharkom [Experimental analysis of air permeability of facade systems with an air layer]. Nauka ta budivnytstvo [Science and construction], vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 10–14. (in Ukr.)
20. Tongji Daxue Xuebao (2009). Effect of permeability оf concrete аnd air entrainment оn durability of concrete. Journal of Tongji University, vol. 37, no. 6, pр. 744–748.
21. Berg O. Ya. (1974). Fizicheskiye osnovy teorii prochnosti betona i zhelezobetona [Physical foundations of the theory of strength of concrete and reinforced concrete]. Moscow: Stroyizdat, 95 p. (in Russ.)
22. Stefanov B. V., Rusanova N. G., Volyanskii A. A. (1982) Tekhnologiya betonnykh i zhelezobetonnykh izdeliy [Technology of concrete and reinforced concrete products]. Kyiv: Vyshcha shkola, 406 p.
If the article is accepted for publication in the journal «Industrial Heat Engineering» the author must sign an agreement on transfer of copyright. The agreement is sent to the postal (original) or e-mail address (scanned copy) of the journal editions.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License International CC-BY that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.