S. O. Kobets
V. Dumansky Institute of Colloid and Water Chemistry,
NAS of Ukraine, 42, Acad. Vernadsky Blvd, Kyiv, 03142, Ukraine
A comparative study on the extraction of 137Cs and 90Sr from aqueous media using magnetic composites obtained on the basis of bentonite from the Ohlanlynske deposit and magnetite was carried out. It is shown that magnetic composites based on a natural mineral — bentonite rock, isolated montmorillonite in the Na-form, impurities — clinoptilolite and cristobalite, as well as natural minerals without magnetite, efficiently sorb 137Cs and 90Sr in a wide pH range (3.7–9). Despite the fact that magnetite in the composition of composites practically does not affect the efficiency of purification of aqueous media, but acts as only
a magnetoactive component, composites are quite promising sorbents for purifying of large volumes of radioactively contaminated waters due to the possibility of removing water purification sludge using an external magnetic field. It has been established that the highest sorption properties are possessed by magnetic sorbents obtained on the basis of clinoptilolite — for 137Cs, and the Na-form of montmorillonite — for 90Sr. The values of their limiting adsorption by the indicated composites, calculated using the Langmuir equation, are 43.3 and 40.6 mg/g, respectively. It is shown that among the macrocomponents (Na+ , K+ , Ca2+), Ca2+ ions have the greatest influence on the efficiency of purification of natural waters and liquid radioactive waste containing 137Cs and 90Sr radionuclides.
Keywords: radionuclides 137Cs and 90Sr, water purification, sorption, natural minerals, composites, magnetite.
1. Yakimenko A. N. (2013). [Assessment of the water quality of the Kyiv reservoir according to radiation safety indicators]. Khimiya i tekhnologiya vody [J. Water Chem. and Technol.], vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 341–348. (in Russ.)
2. Kornilovich B. Yu., Kosorukov A. A., Pshinko G. N. (1991). [Water purification from Cs-137 and Sr-90 using natural and mechanically activated layered and layered band silicates]. Khimiya i tekhnologiya vody [J. Water Chem. and Technol.], vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 1025–1029. (in Russ.)
3. Kornilovich B. Yu., Spasenova L. N., Kosorukov A. A. (1992). [Water purification from Cs-137 and Sr-90 using natural and mechanically activated carbonate-containing materials]. Khimiya i tekhnologiya vody [J. Water Chem. and Technol.], vol. 14, no. 1, pp.48–52. (in Russ.)
4. Staunton S., Roubaud M. (1997). Adsorption of 137Cs on montmorillonite and illite: effect of charge compensating cation, ion strength, concentration of Cs, K and fulvic acid. Clays and Clay Minerals, vol. 45, no 2, pp. 251–260.
5. Aldayel O. A., Alandis N. M., Mekhemer W. K., Hefne J. A., Alenazi S. S. (2010). Removal of cesium and strontium from aqueous solution by natural bentonite: effect of pH, temperature and bentonite treatment. J. Eenv. Sci. Eng, vol. 4, no 4. — P. 1–10.
6. Puzyrnaya L. N., Pshinko G. N., Yatsik B. Р., Zub V. Ya., Kosorukov A. A. (2020). Extraction of U(VI) from Aqueous media with layered Zn, Al and Mg, Al double hydroxides intercalated with citrate ions and with their magnetic nanocomposites. Radiochemistry, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 50–61.
7. Pshinko G. N., Puzyrnaya L. N., Shunkov V. S., Kosorukov A. A., Demchenko V. Ya. (2016). Removal of cesium and strontium radionuclides from aqueous media by sorption onto magnetic potassium zinc hexacyanoferrate(II). Radiochemistry, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 491–497.
8. Tan L., Zhang X., Liu Q., Jing X., Liu J., Song D. (2015). Synthesis of Fe3 O4 /TiO2 core — shell magnetic composites for highly efficient sorption of uranium (VI). Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, vol. 469, pp. 279–286.
9. Zhang H., Zhao X., Wei J., Li F. (2015). Removal of cesium from low-level radioactive wastewaters using magnetic potassium titanium hexacyanoferrate. Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 275, pp. 262–270.
10. Tayebi A., Outokesh M., Moradi Sh., Doram A. (2015). Synthesis and characterization of ultrasound assisted «graphene oxide–magnetite» hybrid, and investigation of its adsorption properties for Sr(II) and Co(II) ions. Applied Surface Science, vol. 353, pp. 350–362.
11. Ambashta R. D., Sillanpää M. (2010). Water purification using magnetic assistance: A review. Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 180, nо. 1–3, pp. 38–49.
12. Papynov E. K., Tkachenko I. A., Maiorov V. Yu., Pechnikov V. S., Fedorets A. N., Portnyagin A. S. (2019). Nanostructured Magnetic Sorbents for Selective Recovery of Uranium (VI) from Aqueous Solutions. Radiochemistry, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 28–36.
13. Kobets S. A., Kosorukov A. A., Demchenko V. Ya., Pshinko G. N. (2020). [Bentonitovaya poroda Oglanlynskogo mestorozhdeniya (Turkmeniya) i kompozity s magnitnymi svoystvami na ego osnove — sorbenty dlya 90Sr] Khimiya i tekhnologiya vody [J. Water Chem. and Technol.], vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 1–12. (in Russ.)
14. Faghihian H., Moayed M., Firooz A., Iravani M. (2014). Evaluation of a new magnetic zeolite composite for removal of Cs+ and Sr2+ from aqueous solutions: Kinetic, equilibrium and thermodynamic studies. Comptes Rendus Chimie, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 108–117.
If the article is accepted for publication in the journal «Industrial Heat Engineering» the author must sign an agreement on transfer of copyright. The agreement is sent to the postal (original) or e-mail address (scanned copy) of the journal editions.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License International CC-BY that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.