B. H. Shabalin, К. К. Yaroshenko, S. P. Buhera
SI “Institute of Environmental Geochemistry of NAS
of Ukraine”, 34a, Palladin ave, Kyiv, 03142, Ukraine
The main feature of bentonite clays is their high sorption capacity with respect to various radionuclides. The study of sorption kinetics of 137Cs was performed in the static mode by natural and industrial soda modified (PBA-20) samples of bentonite clays of Cherkasy deposit of bentonite and paligorskite clays from groundwater model solutions of radioactive waste disposal facilities of “Vector” production complex under various pH and solution mineralisation. The desorption of occluded samples was studied in distilled water and acetateammonium buffer solution. The value of the degree of sorption (S) for 137Cs on the modified samples exceeds 90%, for natural bentonite this indicator is lower (about 83–85%). On both types of bentonite with increasing time of their contact with aqueous solution and pH, there is a redistribution of water-soluble, ion-exchange and fixed forms of radionuclide and the share of the latter, that is not participating in migration processes increases, indicating the ability of bentonites to immobilize effectively for a long time. It is shown that Na-modified bentonite has higher proportion of sorption in fixed form compared to natural one and its application increases the probability of irreversible fixation of migrating radionuclides under non-optimal conditions of sorption (high pH (>11) of water after prolonged contact with cement-concrete components of engineering barriers) and thus increases the environmental safety of the storage facility. It is shown that bentonite clays of the Cherkasy deposit can serve as an effective material for creating anti-migration barriers of I and II stages of surface/near-surface storage facilities for radioactive waste disposal at the “Vector” production complex. At the same time, the issue of practical application of bentonite clays of Cherkasy deposit for accurate predictions of securing radioactive waste disposal of Chornobyl origin requires further study of sorption-desorption properties of bentonite clay with respect to other fission products and actinides
Keywords: geopolymer binders, cementation, boroncontaining liquid radioactive waste, leaching of radionuclides.
1. Bariahtar V. G. (ed.) (1995). Chernobylskaya katastrofa [Chornobyl disaster]. Kyiv: Naukova dumka, 368 p. (in Ukr.)
2. Tuutti K. (1982). Corrosion of steel in concrete. Swedish Cement and Concrete Research Institute, 473 р.
3. Shabalin B. H., Lavrynenko O. M., Kosorukov P. O., Buhera S. P. (2018). [Prospects of natural smectite clays usage to create a geological repository of radioactive waste in Ukraine]. Mineralohichnyi zhurnal [Mineralogical Journal], vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 65–78. (in Ukr.)
4. Shabalin B. H. (2019). [Prospects for the use of bentonite raw materials and materials based on it in the nuclear energy of Ukraine to improve environmental safety in the management of radioactive waste]. Ekolohichna bezpeka ta tekhnolohii zakhystu dovkillia [Environmental safety and environmental technologies], no. 1, pp. 60–69. (in Ukr.)
5. Olkhovyk Yu. O., Shabalin B. H. (2019). [Regarding the use of clay rocks to ensure the isolation of radioactive waste at the “VECTOR” complex]. Ekolohichna bezpeka ta tekhnolohii zakhystu dovkillia [Environmental safety and environmental technologies], no. 1, 45–51. (in Ukr.)
6. Kuleshova M. L., Danchenko N. N., Sergeyev V. I., Shimko T. G. (2014). [Properties of bentonites as materials for creating sorption barriers]. Vestnik Moskovskogo universiteta. Seriya 4. Geologiya [Newsletter of Moscow University. Series 4. Geology], no. 5, pp. 87–95. (in Russ.)
7. Drits V. A., Kossovskaya A. G. (1990). Glinistyye mineraly: smektity. smeshanosloynyye obrazovaniya [Clay minerals: smectites, mixed-layer formations]. Moscow: Nauka, 214 p. (in Russ.)
8. Khodykina M. О. (2017). Formuvannia heterostruktur v systemi neorhanichnyi nosii-natyvnyi fermentnyi preparat oksyreduktaz [Formation of heterostructures in the system of inorganic carrier-native enzyme preparation oxyreductases] (PhD thesis). Kyiv, 136 p. (in Ukr.)
9. Pylypenko I. V., Kovalchuk I. A., Kornilovych B. Yu. (2015). [Synthesis and sorption properties of montmorillonite intercalated by polyhydroxocomplexes of aluminum and titanium]. Khimiia, fizyka ta tekhnolohiia poverkhni [Chemistry, physics and surface technology]. Vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 336–342. (in Ukr.)
10. Shestopalov V. М. (1999). Report on scientific and research works. Development of filtration and hydrochemical model. Agreement No. 4967–98-S016.
11. Yildiz B., Erten H. N., Kiş M. (2011). The sorption behavior of Cs+ ion on clay minerals and zeolite in radioactive waste management: kinetics and thermodynamics. J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem. Vol. 288, pp. 475–483.
12. Tarasevich Yu. I. (1988). Stroyeniye i khimiya poverkhnosti sloistykh silikatov [Structure and surface chemistry of layered silicates]. Kyiv: Naukova dumka, 248 p. (in Russ.)
13. Essington M. E. (2004). Soil and Water Chemistry. New York: CRC Press, 534 p.
14. Honcharuk V., Pshynko H. (2011). The role of chemical forms of radionuclides in predicting their behavior in the environment. Visnyk of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, no. 10, pp. 3–17. (in Ukr.)
15. Okumura M., Kerisitb S., Bourgc I. C., Lammersd L. N., Ikedaf N., Sassib M., Rossob K. M., Machidaa M. (2018). Radiocesium interaction with clay minerals: Theory and
simulation advances Post–Fukushima. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, vol. 189, pp. 135–145.
16. Konoplev А. V., Konopleva I. V. (1999). Determination of characteristics of equilibrium selective sorption of radiocesium by soils and bottom sediments. Geochimia
[Geochemistry], no. 2, pp. 207–214. (in Russ.)
17. Makarov A. V., Zharkova V. O., Jersova J. Y., Tiupina E. A., Krupskaia V. V. (2017). Sorption of Sr-90 and Cs-137 on monocationic forms of bentonite of the Tagansky deposit. Uspekhi v khimii i khimicheskoj tekhnologii [Advances in chemistry and chemical technology]. Vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 16–18. (in Russ.)
18. Kuleshova M. L., Danchenko N. N., Sergeev V. I., Shimko T. G. (2014). Properties of bentonites as materials for creating sorption barriers. MSU Vestnik. Series. 4. Geology, vol. 5, pp. 87–95. (in Russ.)
19. Dubinin М. М. (1974). To problems of surface and porosity of adsorbents. Izvestiya AN SSSR. Series. Chemistry [News of AS of USSR], no. 3, pp. 996–1001. (in Russ.)
20. Tarasevich Yu. I., Ovcharenko F. D. (1975). Adsorbtsiya na glinistykh mineralakh [Adsorbtion on Clay Minerals]. Kyiv: Naukova Dumka, 352 p. (in Russ.)
21. Petrushka I. M., Tarasovych O. D., Petrushka K. I. (2013). Characteristics of the pore diameter distribution of natural and modified sorbents. Naukovyi visnyk NLTU Ukrainy [Scientific Bulletin of UNFU], vol.
23, no. 7, pp. 102–106. (in Ukr.)
22. Honcharuk V., Pshynko H. (2011). The role of chemical forms of radionuclides in predicted chemical behavior in disease. Visnyk of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, no. 10, pp. 3–17. (in Ukr.)
23. Davydov Yu. P., Voronik N. I., Shatilo N. N., Davydov D. Yu. (2002). On the forms of finding radionuclides in soils contaminated as a result of the accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. Radiokhimiya [Radiochemistry], vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 285–288. (in Russ.)
24. Sabodina М. N. (2008). Zakonomernosti povedeniya radionuklidov pri sozdanii tekhnogennogeokhimicheskogo baryera na osnove glin [Regularities of the behavior of radionuclides when creating a technogenic geochemical barrier based on clays]. (PhD thesis). Moscow, 27 p. (in Russ.)
25. Lima E. J., Bosch P., Bulbulian S. (1998). Modification of the structure of natural bentonite and study on the sorption of Cs+. J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., vol. 237, no. 1–2, pp. 41–45.
26. Bondarenko G. N., Kononenko L. V., Kolyabina I. L. (2014). Kinetika formoobrazovaniya radionuklidov v pochvakh kak klyuchevoy faktor prognozirovaniya ekologicheskogo sostoyaniya prirodnoy sredy [Kinetics of radionuclide formation in soils as a key factor in predicting the ecological state of the natural environment]. Kyiv: Naukova dumka, 204 p.
27. Laine H., Karttunen P. (2010). Long-term stability of bentonite. A literature review. POSIVA. Working Report. 2010–53, 132 p.
28. Neff D., Elisabeth M.-V., l’Hostis V., Cailleux E., Vincent L., Texier A., Bellot-Gurlet L., Dillmann P. (2008). Preservation of historical buildings: understanding of corrosion mechanisms of metallic rebars in concrete. Proceedings of “Metal 2007” ICOM–CC Conference, Vol. 4. “Study and conservation of composite artefacts”, pp. 30–35. 29. 14th Natural Analogue Working Group Workshop (NAWG14). Abstract Book. Olkiluoto, Finland, June 9–11, 2015, 169 p
If the article is accepted for publication in the journal «Industrial Heat Engineering» the author must sign an agreement on transfer of copyright. The agreement is sent to the postal (original) or e-mail address (scanned copy) of the journal editions.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License International CC-BY that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.