O. V. Kukhotskyi1, A. V. Nosovskyi2
1SE “State Scientific and Technical Center for Nuclear and Radiation Safety”,
35-37, V. Stusa st., Kyiv, 03142, Ukraine
2Institute for Safety Problems of Nuclear Power Plants, NAS of Ukraine,
12, Lysogirska st., Kyiv, 03028, Ukraine
The State Scientific and Technical Center for Nuclear and Radiation Safety performs the scientific and technical support of Ukrainian regulatory authority (State Nuclear Regulatory Inspectorate of Ukraine) in licensing activities of the Neutron Source Based on a Subcritical Assembly Driven by a Linear Electron Accelerator (hereinafter designated as the Neutron Source). In the Neutron Source’s licensing, the independent models of key nuclear facility elements were developed and calculations for verification safety studies using non-identical analytical tools were performed.
Aspects related to the development of independent (regulatory) thermal hydraulics models of the core elements of the Neutron Source are discussed in the paper. The process of modeling neutron-generating target and the fuel assembly of Neutron Source are described in the article. Moreover, the results of the verification safety studies are also presented.
Keywords: thermal-hydraylics, safety studies, licensing process, neutron source, accelerator driven.
1. General Safety Provisions for Nuclear Subcritical Assembly: NP 306.2.183-2012. SNRIU, 2 012. (in Ukr.)
2. Gashev M. Kh., Grigorash O. V., Dolotov A. V., Nosovskyi A. V., Dybach O. M., Berezhnoi A. I., Kukhotskyi O. V. (2013). [Licensing of the Neutron Source Based on the Subcritical Assembly Driven by a Linear Electron Accelerator]. Yaderna ta Radyiatsyijna Bezpeka [Nuclear and radiation safety], no. 4, pp. 3-9. (in Russ.)
3. Nuclear Subcritical Facility “Neutron Source Based on the Subcritical Assembly Driven by a Linear Electron Accelerator”. PSAR — KIPT, 2012. (in Russ.)
4. Kukhotsky O. V., Nosovskyi A. V., Dybach O. M. (2017). Development of thermohydraulic models of core elements of “Neutron source”. Problems of Atomic Science and Technology, no. 2, pp. 131-137.
5. The Overview of the Existing Models Applied for Neutron Source Verification Calculations. Report TB3-A3 INSC Project U3.01/12 (UK/TS/49). SSTC NRS, 2016.
If the article is accepted for publication in the journal «Industrial Heat Engineering» the author must sign an agreement on transfer of copyright. The agreement is sent to the postal (original) or e-mail address (scanned copy) of the journal editions.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License International CC-BY that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.