Yu. G. Fedorenko1, Yu. A. Olkhovyk1, A. N. Rozko2,
G. P. Pavlyshyn1
1 SI “Institute of Environmental Geochemistry of the National
Academy of Sciences of Ukraine”, 34a, Palladin ave, Kyiv,
2 M. P. Semenenko Institute of Geochemistry, Mineralogy
and Ore Formation of the National Academy of Sciences
of Ukraine, 34, Palladin ave, Kyiv, 03142, Ukraine
The paper presents an analysis of the experimental results of the use of geopolymer binders for cementing boron-containing liquid radioactive waste (LRW). The dependence of the properties of compounds on the component composition of binders has been studied. The following components are considered: liquid glass with a silicon modulus of 2.9, a mixture of ash of Darnytsya TPP with slag of the Mariupol metallurgical
plant in a ratio of 1: 1 and potassium hydroxide. To perform a factor analysis of the effect, the mass of these substances was taken as three factors in the analysis at two levels. For the manufacture of compounds imitation LRW was mixed with zeolite in a ratio of 10:1 at a temperature of about 60 оC. Subsequently, the above components were added to the mixture, the weight of which varied by ±17% relative to the weight of the base compound. To study the properties, samples of different sizes 5×5×5 cm, 1.5×1.5×1.5 cm and rectangular samples with an outer surface from 96 cm2 to 104 cm2 were made. Each property was studied in 8 samples. The obtained results allowed to construct linear equations that quantitatively link the corresponding characteristic of the compound with the composition of the binders. The correlation coefficients between the experimental and the data calculated by the equation are estimated. The average values of the correlation coefficients may indicate that not all factors were taken into account. The obtained regularities show that in the conditions of the experiment slag and ash increase, and liquid glass and potassium hydroxide reduce the rate of setting of the samples. The density of the samples is increased by ash and slag, while liquid glass and potassium hydroxide are reduced. The compressive strength of liquid glass and potassium hydroxide is reduced, while the mixture of ash and slag is increased. The leaching rate Сs of liquid glass and potassium hydroxide is increased, the mixture of ash and slag is reduced. At the same time, the leaching rate of Sr increases the ash/slag mixture, while liquid glass and potassium hydroxide decrease. The time during which the leaching of Cs reaches the normative values, slag and ash are reduced, and liquid glass and potassium hydroxide are lengthened. The obtained results can be taken into account when optimizing the composition of geopolymer binders for cementing LRW.
Keywords: geopolymer binders, cementation, boroncontaining liquid radioactive waste, leaching of radionuclides.
1. GOST R51883–2002. Otkhody radioaktivnyye tsementirovannyye. Obshchiye tekhnicheskiye trebovaniya. Gosstandart Rossii [Radioactive cemented wastes. General specifications]. Moscow: Standartinform Publ., 2002, 7 p. (in Russ.)
2. Davidovits J. (1988). The Pyramids: An Enigma Solved. New York: Dorset Press.
3. Davidovits J. (1988). Soft mineralurgy and geopolymers. Proceedings of the Material International Conference “Geopolimer 88” (Universite de Technologie, Compiegne, France], pp. 49–56. (in Fr.)
4. Davidovits J. (1999). Chemistry of geopolymeric systems terminology. Proceedings of the Material International Conference “Geopolimer”. France. (in Fr.)
5. SOU YaEK 1.037:2013. Short-lived low- and intermediatelevel waste of NPPs. Requirements for the final processing product. Approved by the order of the Ministry of Energy and Coal Industry of Ukraine, dated October 28, 2013, no. 790. Kyiv, 2013. (in Ukr.)
6. Glukhovsky V. D. (1965). Gruntosilikaty, ikh svoystva, tekhnologiya izgotovleniya i oblast’ primeneniya [Soil silicates, their properties, manufacturing technology and application (ScD thesis). (in Russ.)
7. Olkhovik Yu. A., Fedorenko Yu. A., Rozko A. N., Saenko S. Yu., Shkuropatenko V. A. (2019). [Cementation of boron-containing liquid radioactive waste at elevated temperature]. Nuclear Power and the Environment, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 59–66. (in Ukr.)
8. Chekmarev A. S., Seo D. K., Skorina V. S., Chekmareva G. D. (2010). Polucheniye glinopolimernykh materialov s primeneniyem prirodnykh komponentov [Production of clay polymer materials using natural components. Vestnik Kazanskogo tekhnologicheskogo universiteta [Bulletin of the Kazan University of Technology], vol. 8, pp. 272–276. (in Ukr.)
9. DSTU BV.2.7–187:2009. Tsementy. Metody vyznachennya mitsnosti na z·hyn i stysk [Cements. Methods for determining the flexural and compressive strength]. Kyiv: Lira-K, 2012. 624 p. (in Ukr.)
10. GOST R52126–2003. Radioactive waste. Long time leach testing of solidified radioactive waste forms. Moscow: Standartinform Publ. (in Russ.)
If the article is accepted for publication in the journal «Industrial Heat Engineering» the author must sign an agreement on transfer of copyright. The agreement is sent to the postal (original) or e-mail address (scanned copy) of the journal editions.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License International CC-BY that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.