O. S. Lagunenko, V. Ye. Khan, O. K. Kalynovskyi,
V. M. Bezmylov, V. O. Kashpur, V. P. Kovalchuk,
P. V. Sabenin, O. A. Svirid, A. V. Tkach
Institute for Safety Problems of Nuclear Power Plants,
NAS of Ukraine, 36a, Kirova st., Chornobyl, 07270, Ukraine
The results of monitored behavior of radioactive aerosols within the conditions of the New Safe Confinement (NSC) in 2017–2020 are presented. Maximum “unorganized” flux of beta-emitting products of the Chornobyl accident from the Shelter object through the process openings and leakages of light roofing in the NSC basic volume observed in 2017 made 7.9 kBq/(m2 ∙day). Mean annual density of radionuclide deposition onto the light roofing during four years has been changing within the range of 1.7–2.2 kBq/(m2 ∙day). Over these years, mean annual volumetric activity of sum of long-lived beta-emitting nuclides coming in the “Bypass” system dropped from 0.84 to 0.17 Bq/m3 . Their carriers were aerosol particles with activity median aerodynamic diameter, mainly, from 4.3 to 10 μm. The data are given on radioactive contamination of near-surface air layer in the NSC basic volume.
Keywords: New Safe Confinement, Shelter object, aerosols, volumetric activity, density of radionuclide deposition, activity median aerodynamic diameter
1. Ogorodnikov B. I., Pazukhin E. M., Klyuchnikov A. A. (2008). Radioactivnye aerozoli ob’yekta “Ukrytie”: 1986–2006 gg. [Radioactive aerosols of the Shelter object: 1986–2006]. Chornobyl: ISP NPP, NAS of Ukraine, 456 p. (in Russ.)
2. Lagunenko A. S., Khan V. E., Kalinovskiy A. K., Krasnov V. A., Kashpur V. O., Kovalchuk V. P. (2017). [Monitoring of radioactive aerosol releases from Shelter object within conditions of New Safe Confinement in 2017]. Problemy bezpeky atomnykh elektrostantsiy i Chornobylya [Problems of nuclear power plants’ safety and of Chornobyl], vol. 31, pp. 68–75. (in Russ.)
3. Lagunenko O. S., Khan V. Ye., Kalynovskyi O. K., Kashpur V. O., Kovalchuk V. P., Sabenin P. V., Svyryd O. A., Tkach A. V., Yurchuk S. V. (2020). [Radioactive Aerosols under Conditions of New Safe Confinement in 2018]. Yaderna enerhetyka ta dovkillya [Nuclear Power and the Environment], vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 79–85. (in Ukr.)
4. Borovoi A. A., Dovbenko А. А., Markushev V. M., et al (1989). Radiatsionno-phizitcheskiye kharakteristiki topliva 4-go bloka ChAES i otsenka ikh pogreshnosti [Radiationphysical characteristics of the fuel of 4th power unit of the Chornobyl NPP and estimation of their error]. Chоrnobyl: CE at I. V. Kurchatov Institute of Atomic Energy; inv. no. 11.07–06/172, 115 p. (in Russ.)
5. Research investigation report “Determination of the nuclear-physical characteristics of the fuel of the 4th power unit of the ChNPP”; inv. no. 52/11–20). Moscow IBRAE, NAS of USSR, 1991. (in Russ.)
6. Lagunenko A. S., Khan V. E., Kalinovskiy A. K., Krasnov V. A., Kashpur V. O., Dovydkov. S. A. (2017). [Monitoring of releases of radioactive aerosols from Shelter object in 2015–2016]. Problemy bezpeky atomnykh elektrostantsiy i Chornobylya [Problems of nuclear power plants’ safety and of Chornobyl], vol. 29, pp. 69–77. (in Russ.)
7. Arutyunayan R. V., Bolshov L. A., Borovoi A. A., Velikhov E. P., Klyuchikov A. A. (2010). Yadernoye toplivo v obyekte “Ukrytiye” Chernobyl’skoy AES [Nuclear fuel in the “Shelter” encasement of the Chornobyl NPP]. Moscow: Nauka, 240 p. (in Russ.)
If the article is accepted for publication in the journal «Industrial Heat Engineering» the author must sign an agreement on transfer of copyright. The agreement is sent to the postal (original) or e-mail address (scanned copy) of the journal editions.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License International CC-BY that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.